Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Six.

Nothing. Not a sound. Not even a movement. For six hours.
Kate had fainted after I told her the news but I caught her of course, and laid her on the couch where she had been for what seemed like years. It was now 4 in the morning but I couldn't leave her side. Something just told me that when she woke up she would be in shock. I had almost given up hope on her at around 1 and called the hospital but then thought better of it. People would start to ask questions and I was suppose to be flying under the radar. You know, with the whole my people going under cover as humans in America to find me. Something my dad had come up with a few years after I left the island.
The island.
How I missed the beauty of it and the feeling of home I hadn't felt since I left. Which I guess is my fault. Then again, it was for my own safety as my father says. It was either leave the island or be killed. I was seven at the time.

"Tristan? Tristan! Where are you?!"
I looked behind me and saw my mother walking towards me. She looked angry about something. What could it possibly be this time?
"Where have you been?"
"Here. I can't be in the village and practice. Might as well practice where no one can see me."
She shook her head.
"You aren't suppose to be practicing."
Why? Because I wasn't of age to even have abilities? Well new slash, I'm not a normal kid. Unlike everyone else in the village who got their "special gifts" when they turned 18, I got mine at 5 years old. I was 7 now, and almost had them mastered, minus the fact I was highly irritated with everyone on this island that my hands constantly felt a burning sensation. I had still come along way from where I had been and had matured faster than everyone. So I think I will call myself a master.
My mother took in a deep breath, the spoke again.
"Well, why don't you show me then?"
I hated that about my mom. She was different as well, like me I guess. Except it was just she was given another power that not one person in our kind had ever been given. Even the exceptional ones. She could read my mind. Ugh.
I glared at her for a moment, then turned from her back to the river I had been practicing with before. Concentrating very hard, I held my hands out over the water and slowly started shifting my hands the way I had been taught to move the water away. The river wasn't too deep so it didn't take long for the waters to part. I then stepped down into the river bank and crossed to the other side. Once reaching the other end I released my concentration and the water went back to where it had been.
I turned to face my mother and hopefully gain her approval. She looked pleased but I knew she wanted more. And that was without reading her mind. So I started to show off a little. Pulling water from the river and freezing it to arrow shaped icicles and flinging them at the nearest tree, all with a few movements of my right hand. Making a pink rose, my mother's favorite flower, grow right next to where she stood. Throwing fire out of my hands towards the bush next to me with my left hand then using my right hand to put out the fire.
I looked back at my mother once again to see a smile on her face.
"Very good, Tristan. You are making some progress. Dinner will be in an hour so you might want to come along with me and get cleaned up. You're father wouldn't want to find out that you have been practicing."
With that said, she was gone. I took a deep breath and then ran back to the house to clean myself up. But when I went down for dinner that night feeling very proud of myself that I had received the approval of my mother, I didn't realize that I would never see her again.



How can Kelly be gone? My Kelly. My best friend.
I had been lying on Jason's couch for awhile and probably was worrying him because I hadn't moved. But I needed to think. It just didn't seem logical to me. The clock tower chimed four times. Four in the morning. I probably should move off of Jason's couch now. I slowly opened my eyes to find Jason asleep on a chair right in front of me. He must have been sitting there for most of the night probably debating on if to take me to the hospital or not. I could almost see him now arguing with himself. The thought made me giggle a little to myself, but I regain my composure quickly because at the sight of Jason's face asleep, I remember his face as he had walked across the lawn six hours ago. I got up from where I was on the couch and quietly made my way to the kitchen to write a short note to him on a sheet of paper I had seen in there.
Hey Jason,
Thanks for taking care of me. Sorry if I kept you up all night. I went back over to my house to get some rest. Sleep well. Thanks again. =]]
-Kate

And with that written and placed by where he was sitting so he would see it, I left.

No comments: